Sunday, June 7, 2009

And the Remodeling...

After five years of living in a construction zone, the end is still far away but now it's also in sight. We have the electrician, the plumber, the window installer, and the carpenter pulling together to create a lovely space for my family.

I am beyond excited. If you can imagine tripping on extension cords every morning for the past five years...plugging in appliances as you need them because you don't have outlets (everything leads to the new circuit box through a series of industrial size extension cords)...not having a dryer for four of the five years...not having overhead lighting...looking at studs and insulation and desperately trying to cover all of these things with creative fabric and haphazard pictures and figurines on shelves hurriedly hung with aesthetics in mind (but nothing hides the truth of remodeling)...if you can imagine all of these things, you can certainly understand why I now have decorating on my mind. Decorating that will highlight beautiful smooth walls and gorgeous tile and wood floors (picture a big grin with hands clasped together with glee).

In celebration of the eventual end, I have immersed myself with books, magazines and online resources to build the color wheel and collection of things that will grace my home when everything is done by the end of this fall. While doing so, I realized two things: first, I don't have a cut and dry "type" of interior style, I don't fall into a specific category; and second, I believe in color and I will avoid white with everything in me.

I thought that I was old world European because of the heavy wood but the colors are too beige and white for me. I thought that I might be cottage shabby but there's too much stuff all over the place. I'm definitely NOT modern but I do like clean lines. I love the look of a log home but not everything covered with wood. So my adventure has been interesting (: I hope you enjoy the small pieces I found that I felt defined my interior soul...


Spirited Woodland, Albert bone china tea cup

I love tea cups, especially with roses. They happen to be my favorite flower (besides daisies) and I would like to invite you to my table for an afternoon cup, a little homemade pastry with dark chocolate icing and the smell of lilacs from an open window.




Cottage Chic Store, Roses and Lemons

Bright pink with lemon-yellow always makes me smile. I also adore the color green. I would hang this painting on my wall in a heartbeat.




Cottage Chic Store, Linens

Crisp clean linen but not blue...what struck me with this photo was the chair. I love the aged look, the sun blistered spots that make me think of long summer days spent on my grandpa's lake in the middle of nowhere.




Love to Know, Old World European

Old world European, chair and arched window. I would paint the walls a rusty orange instead and the vessel behind the chair would overflow with bright pink roses. They would cascade and tumble, their scent lulling me deeper into the book that I'm reading as I lounge on the plush velvet chair.

Put these photos together and that will hopefully be my home. How do you decorate your home of dreams?

4 comments:

  1. Hurray! I'm so excited for you guys! I think your pieces of inspiration are fabulous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have similar tastes. Of course, every room of my house has a different decor. I love color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think eclectic is a good route to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any new posts on the way?
    T.

    ReplyDelete