Friday, May 15, 2009



1. vent d'hiver, sibylle d
2. medieval neat boot, anifty
3. friendship blessing basket, crafts by kade
4. italian almond torrone, cupcakes in jars

Yesterday my daughter and I went on our first picnic of the season. We brought comforts and luxuries and we enjoyed the shoreline of Grand Marais. While perusing Etsy on this fine Friday, I wanted to see if I could find the delectable things that can make a picnic such a wonderful experience. The artists did not disappoint me.

During my search for picnic beauty, I mentally listed the essential requirements for a picnic. The first requirement is a good friend. Sibylle D illustrates this idea with stunning clarity in her vent d'hiver painting. Two softly-hued ladies turned toward each other while the wind and leaves blow about them. I have a feeling that their conversation keeps them from noticing the wind. This painting is gentle and lovely with simple strokes and elegant curves.

The second requirement is a good pair of shoes. Every picnic demands a stroll to one's destination and then once the linen and porcelain are laid about, the surrounding area must be explored. The artist, anifty, grasps the idea of comfort, solidity and style with a pair of Medieval Neat Boots. These would pair well with a billowy gypsy skirt or a pair of linen trousers on a cool spring afternoon. What a delicious color for the maiden who wears them!

The third requirement is a sturdy basket for all the goodies and niceties. Crafts by Kade delightfully satisfied my picnicking heart with the Friendship Blessing Basket. What a fitting name. This basket is large enough to hold dishes and treats, as well as a nice bottle of something warm and red. Tuck a gorgeous tablecloth over the said items and off we go!

The final requirement: delicious somethings to sweeten the tooth. The artist, cupcakes in jars, tantalized me with a decadent photo of homemade Italian Almond Torrone. I lived in Sicily for 2 1/2 years and I can still remember the nougat and almond, the soft texture, the absolute bliss. These are the things that make life so utterly beautiful.

I hope that all of you find time to picnic in the great outdoors. Pack a basket with your best dinnerware. Find tender linen, soft to the touch and lovely to the eyes, and spread it over green grass and wildflowers. Take your closest friend and discover a new place to dine. I send my warm wishes to all of you and the hope that this weekend will find you someplace pretty, someplace perfect, someplace picnicking.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! :)

    Can I just say that I am so jealous that you lived in Sicily for 2 1/2 years? That would be my dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pastry definitely makes me drool a little, I could really go for a tasty little treat like that!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have visited your interesting blog.Do You want visit the my blogs for an exchange visit?Grazie.
    http://internapoli-city.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful way to orchestrate the perfect picnic :) I love the cupcakes in a jar, and the picnic basket is ideal :) I'm so glad you guys were able to get up north. I hope you'll be able to do that again soon!

    ReplyDelete