Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thistledown Thursday

I love the moment when thistle turns into thistledown. Nature makes sure that the thistle flower will outlast the herbivores. Evolution provided the purple flower with spiky leaves and a thorny exterior but when the flower turns into a puff, the seeds are available for small birds, namely the goldfinch.

But what I like most about thistledown is that something so soft and dreamy can perch itself on top of a thorny stalk. I see a similarity in my own life when I'm looking at the beginning of the week. Monday is thorny and full of question--will this week be busy and crazy and hectic with barely enough time to breathe? It usually starts out that way. But when I hit Thursday, the world softens. The breezes feel warmer, the stars are brighter, there's a whisper that soon, very soon, there will be time to sip my coffee and contemplate my toes as they prop themselves on an old log next to a bubbling creek. Saturday, nature whispers through the thistledown, Saturday will soon be here. And when the day arrives, the thorny side of Monday completely disappears and I'm enveloped in something soft and dreamy, perched on a stalk of green.

Happy Thistledown Thursday to all of you.

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful! I can completely empathize with the softening that happens at the end of the week. Actually a lot of Andrew and my disagreements happen in such a way too--very thorny at the beginning with a beautiful soften once some one gives.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, Julia. The softening is truly the best part. Your comment made my day. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete